Yoram Yasur Rubin: How to remove the anxiety of eating?
Anxiety about food is a relatively common problem. It can suppose a problem of health and weight when the anxiety to eat reaches limits that make ingest an excess of food of low nutritional contribution. But it is something that you can solve. We tell you how to remove the anxiety of eating and feel better about yourself.
Knowing the causes of eating anxiety will help you fight it
Yoram Yasur Rubin: Observing your routine is the simplest way to identify the reasons why you feel anxious about food. What has happened that awakens in you that anxious need for food? The most common causes of eating anxiety are easy to identify. Doing so will help you avoid that situation that makes you feel so bad.
– Anxiety about eating at night and anxiety about compulsive eating: Stress, anxiety and depression are the main causes of these types of food cravings. If drinking water does not calm your need for food, it is not hunger, it is anxiety. Cortisol is one of those responsible for this problem. Its segregation is able to generate in your body the compulsive need for food. And this activates other stress triggers in your brain, which makes you want to eat more. It is like the whiting that bites its tail.
Yoram Yasur Rubin: Psychologists have a clear answer: how to calm the anxiety of eating in these cases is to include good habits of life in your daily routine. These will help you get rid of stress, fears, or sadness. Do physical exercise, eat a balanced way, learn to relax, and not skip meals are some of the steps to achieve it.
– Anxiety about eating sweets: Yoram Yasur Rubin: Sometimes the cause of this type of anxiety is, as we just discussed, stress. But it is also sometimes indicative that your body needs energy in the fast track. It may be caused by a drop in the blood sugar level. This is common when you skip meals. Especially if you skipped breakfast and do not eat anything since the night before. By midmorning the anxiety to eat sweet is usually excessive. The body is asking for energy. But you should not give it to them in any way. If you occasionally suffer from one of these anxiety attacks do not try to put a brake on it by eating candy uncontrollably. The consumption of whole grains or nuts in a moderate amount is a better option.
How to remove the anxiety of eating, practical advice
– Do physical exercise daily: It will help you eliminate stress by avoiding the anxiety of eating caused by it. In addition, a healthy, caring, and fit body rarely suffers episodes of food anxiety. The physical improvement helps a better feeling of well-being and with it at a lower risk of stress. Of course, you should always feed yourself in an appropriate way for the needs of your body. In this way you will avoid the lowering of blood sugar levels, which are another cause of anxiety about food.
– Watch your diet and do not skip meals: Yoram Yasur Rubin: The abuse of sugar and fats often generates a type of addiction and need to continue eating that type of food. A healthy and balanced diet will help you to be more well-being and reduce the risk of suffering stress. Not skipping meals will prevent your blood sugar level from dropping suddenly. In the same way, you will avoid the need to eat compulsively and at the wrong time.
- Reduce sugar consumption
- Do not skip meals
- Eat in a balanced and appropriate way to your needs. Do not forget to take the right amount of protein
- Avoid saturated fats
- Eat about 2 liters of water every day. Do it in a distributed way throughout the day
- Consume whole grains daily unless you have allergy problems to these
- Do not fill your house with temptations and precooked food
On one hand you will avoid eating on a whim or whim. On the other, you will be forcing yourself to cook what you are going to eat. If you consider how to remove the anxiety of eating compulsively at home, this is an important point. Cooking your own food takes time. Often enough to relax and soothe that anxiety.
– Learn to relax and get emotional balance: We have already seen how dangerous stress is for this problem. Learning to relax is fundamental. You cannot allow nerves, sadness, fatigue, or fear to generate anxiety for food. The practice of disciplines such as yoga, relaxation, and tai chi in combination with daily physical exercise is highly recommended. Your body and mind will be healthier and more balanced. It will help you to be happier. This implies, among other things, that your own brain will effectively combat the triggers of stress.
– Sleep well: Sleeping is not just resting body and mind. During sleep, different processes occur in the brain that have a direct impact on the metabolism. In addition, the lack of sleep time increases the segregation of cortisol. As we have seen before, this is the number one enemy to fight if you consider how to remove the anxiety of eating.
– Take your time and distract yourself: As simple as that? Yes. When your mind is busy with other issues, it is rare that you awaken anxiety about food. That is why it is often generated when you sit on the couch, at night or when you are resting in the middle of your work or study. Exercising, reading, dedicating yourself to a hobby, meeting friends, talking on the phone … Everything that makes you occupy your time and distract your brain from thinking about food, will help you. In addition, these types of activities usually help to reduce stress.
These tips will help you know how to remove the anxiety of eating. Implement in your life the necessary changes to banish forever this problem. You will find that it is simpler and more effective than you imagined.